1932 Metropolitan Railway






Note: This is a sub-section of 1932 Railway Year Book and Metropolitan Railway
Note: Parts are missing from original in the text below. Check the images or PDF for a full transcript
GENERAL OFFICES.
BAKER STREET STATION, N.W. 1.
DIRECTORS.
THE RT. HON. LORD ABERCONWAY, P.O. (Chairman), 43, Belgrave Square, S.W.l
SIR CLARENDON G. HYDE, 105, Pall Mall, S.W. 1 (Deputy Chairman).
ALBERT 1. BELISHA, 82, King William Street, E.C. 4.
THE RT. HON. THE EARL OF CROMER, P.C., 36, Wimpole Street, W. I.
FRANK DUDLEY DOCKER, C.B., J.P., 10, Mayfair Place, W.l.
THE HON. EVELYN HUBBARD, 17, St. Helen’s Place, E.C.3.
SIR EDWARD MANVILLE, 9/13, Fenchurch Buildings, Fenchurch Street, E.C. 3.
SIR EDMUND WYLDBORE-SMITH, 40, Stratton Street, W.l.
OFFICERS. {Unless otherwise stated the addresses of the Officers are at the General Offices as above.}
General Manager and Chief Legal Adviser and Solicitor— J. S. ANDERSON.
Secretary— H. S. CHAPMAN.
Commercial Manager— JOHN WARDLE.
Chief Civil Engineer— E. A. WILSON, M.Inst.C.E.
Chief Electrical Engineer— P. R. BOULTON, M.I.E.E., Neasden, N.W. 10.
Joint Accountants— W. M. BALLINGALL, M.Inst.T., and F. W. CURTIS.
Stores Superintendent—E. SUTTON, Neasden, N.W. 10.
Estate Agent—F. DAWSON.
Traffic Manager and Chief Mechanical Engineer— G. HALLY (Mechanical Engineer’s Dept, at Neasden, N.W. 10.)
Architect—CHAS. W. CLARK, A.R.I.B.A.
Auditors—FRANK ST BANE PRICE, 3, Frederick’s Place, Old Jewry, E.C.
SIR A. W. WYON, K.B.E., 3, Frederick’s Place, Old Jewry, E.C.
Bankers—NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK LTD., Baker Street, W., and WESTMINSTER BANK LIMITED, 52, Theadneedle Street, E.C.3.
Telegraphic Addresses and Telephone Numbers of Principal Departments
HISTORICAL SKETCH.
THE Metropolitan Ry. was incorporated in 1853 as the North Metropolitan Ry., re-incorporated 7th August, 1854, as a mixed gauge line, from a junction with the Great Western Ry. at Bishops Road, Paddington, to Victoria Street (now Farringdon and High Holborn), opened 10th January, 1863, and worked for six months by the G. W. Ry. with broad gauge rolling stock. In consequence of a disagreement between the two Companies, the Metropolitan Ry. had to provide rolling stock and work the line on the narrow gauge at seven days’ notice in August, 1863, This was successfully done with the assistance of the G. N. Ry. until the material on order was delivered ; the broad gauge line was removed in 1869. The Hammersmith and City Ry., from Westbourne Park to Uxbridge Road Junction and Hammersmith, is jointly the property of the Metropolitan and G.W. Rys., and was opened in sections—Notting Hill, now Ladbroke Grove (North Kensington), Shepherd’s Bush, Hammersmith, 13th June, 1864 ; Westboume Park, 1st February, 1866; Latimer Road, 16th December, 1868. The line from Praed Street Junction to South Kensington was opened in sections—Praed Street, Bayswater, Notting Hill Gute, High Street (Kensington), and Gloucester Road, 1st October, 1868; South Kensington, 24th December, 1868. The Metropolitan was extended to Moorgate Street, 23rd December, 1865 ; to Bishopsgate (now Liverpool Street), 12th July, 1875 ; and to Aidgate, November 18th, 1876. From Aidgate to Mansion House is the joint property of the Metropolitan and Metropolitan District Rys., and this railway, about 1| miles, forming the completion of the Inner Circle, was opened 6th October, 1884. The Metropolitan is also one of the joint lessees of the East London Ry., and for many years ran trains through to New Cross (S. E. and C. Ry.) over this route. This service was discontinued on the electrification of the Metropolitan system, but the East London Line has now been equipped electrically and the Metropolitan Company run through trains from their line to both the South Eastern and Brighton Stations at New Cross, and also work the local services to and from Shoreditch.
The Metropolitan and St. John’s Wood Ry. was opened to Swiss Cottage in April, 1868, and extended to West Hampstead on 30th June, 1879 ; to Willesden Green on 24th November, 1879 ; to Harrow, 2nd August, 1880; to Pinner, 25th May, 1885; to Rickmansworth, Ist September, 1887; to Chesham, Sth July, 1889, and Aylesbury, 1 st September, 1892 ; the Aylesbury and Buckingham Ry., incorporated so long ago as 1860, and opened in 1868, was amalgamated with the Metropolitan as from 1st July, 1891. The section between Harrow and Uxbridge was opened for traffic on the 4th July, 1904. Under an Act of Parliament passed in 1905 the railway between Harrow and Verney Junction was leased to a Joint Committee of the Metropolitan and G. C. Rys. as from 2nd April, 1906, see ‘‘Joint Railways.”
Powers were obtained by the Metropolitan Ry. in 1912 to extend the Metro, and G. C. joint line from Rickmansworth to Watford, with stations at Croxley Green and Watford, and this branch line was opened on November 2nd, 1925. Also for the widening of the Metropolitan line between Finchley Road and Wembley Park. This widening was completed some 18 years ago and a service of fast non-stop trains is run between Baker Street and Harrow without interfering with the ordinary local services. A further widening scheme has now been completed between Wembley Park and Harrow, entailing the rebuilding of two stations en route, whilst a new extension to Stanmore, branching off from the main line at a point north of Wembley Park, is now being proceeded with.
Great Northern and City Section.—This line was incorporated by Act of 1892, to construct an underground railway from Finsbury Pavement to Finsbury Park. By Act of 1895 an extension of time for the compulsory purchase of lands was granted for two years to 28th June, 1897. The time limited for the completion of the railway was also extended under the Act for a period of three years from the 28th June, 1897. Further powers for extension of time and for new capital were granted by Act of 1897, and in 1902 powers were obtained to extend the line from Finsbury Pavement to Lothbury. Eventually the line was completed from Moorgate Street, in Finsbury Pavement, to Finsbury Park, where a station was constructed underneath the Great Northern station, and opened for traffic on 13th February, 1904. At one time it was intended to connect directly with the Great Northern system, and the Great Northern and City Railway is unique among London “ tubes,” in that it will take vehicles of standard dimensions. From Drayton Park to Finsbury Park the railway is partly in the open. Subway connection at Moorgate Street with the Metropolitan and City and South London Railway was opened on September 2nd, 1912. The Company was dissolved as from 30th June, 1913, the undertaking being amalgamated with the Metropolitan Railway as from that date.
The surplus estate of the Metropolitan Ry. is managed by the “ Metropolitan Railway Surplus Lands Committee,” and the capital and revenue of the estate are dealt with separately from the capital and revenue of the other portions of the Company’s undertaking.
Principal Towns Served.—On the Main Line : Harrow, Uxbridge, Rickmansworth, Watford, Chesham, Aylesbury, etc.
Largest Station.—Moorgate station is the largest on the Metropolitan Ry. Number of platforms (including those used by the L.M.S. and L. and N.E. Rys.), 8 ; approximate number of passenger trains in and out daily, 1,000 ; number of roads, 6; number of points, 20 ; number of signals. 25 ; number of levers, 44 ; number of signal boxes, 1. At Baker Street there are two platforms in the circle station and four in the main station ; approximate number of passenger trains in and out daily, 1,364.
Total length, of platform faces at which trains can come alongside of the largest stations.—Moorgate, 3,170 ft.; Aidgate, 1,536 ft.; Baker Street, 2,500 ft.; High Street, Kensington, 1,704 ft.; Wembley Park, 2,625 ft.; Harrow, 1,676 ft.
Running Powers.—Running powers are exercised over the following railways :— District: From South Kensington to Mansion House (passenger), 4 miles 4 chains. Great Western : Paddington (Bishops Road) to Westbourne Park (passenger), 79 chains (joint Met. and G. W. service). West London (passenger), 52 chains. East London Eaihvay: Shoreditch to New Cross and New Cross Gate, 4 miles 2 chains (passenger).
Steepest Gradient.—Between King’s Cross <& St. Pancras and Farringdon High Holborn (widened lines), being 1 in 40 for a distance of 11 chains, falling towards King’s Cross.
Colours of Tickets are as follows :—First-class, white ; third-class, green.
Permanent "Way.—Bull-headed section rails, 95 lbs. per yard ; sleepers, 9 ft. and 8 ft. 6 in. by 10 in. by 5 in.; chairs weighing 46 lbs. and 52| lbs. each.
Tunnels.—The longest tunnel on the Main Lines is between Marlborough Road and St. John’s Wood, which is 41 chains long. The longest on the Inner Circle is between Euston Square and King’s Cross St. Pancras, 55 chains long.
Dimensions of Vehicles.—Longest passenger coaches, 54 ft. 4| in. in length over buffers. Largest goods or mineral vehicles measure 25 ft. long over buffers.
Pullman Cars.—Two Buffet Cars operate between Aldgate, Liverpool Street, Bake Street, Aylesbury, Chesham and Quainton Road.
Heating of Passenger Trains.—Electric and steam.
Colour of Engines.—Midland Red.
Colour of Rolling Stock.—Varnished teak.
The Generating Station and Locomotive Works are at Neasden, N.W. 10.
Brake.—Automatic Vacuum for steam-hauled passenger trains, Vacuum or Westinghouse Quick-Acting for electric passenger train vehicles. Electric Locos, are fitted with both Automatic Vacuum and Westinghouse Brakes.
Largest Signal-box.—Wembley Park Station, 90 levers.
Electrical Working was commenced on the 1st January, 1905, on the Section between Baker Street and Harrow and Uxbridge. The Inner Circle Section has been worked electrically since September, 1905, the Hammersmith and City Section since November, 1906, the section between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Rickmansworth since 5th January, 1925, and the Watford Extension since 2nd November, 1925. See pages 17 19.
Education of Employees.—Electrical Instruction, Steam Instruction, Signalling Instruction, and Ambulance Classes.
Mile Posts and Gradient Boards on down side of main line.
Signalling.—The signalling of the railway is automatic and semi-automatic (All- Blectric) throughout, the signals in use in the tunnel sections being, generally, short range light signals. In the open sections of the line, semaphore signals (upper and lower quadrant type) and long-range light signals are in use. Three-aspect colour light signalling is installed between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge and between Harrow and Rickmansworth and on the Watford line. Power signal frames are provided at Edgware Road, Baker Street, Wembley Park and Aidgate.
Number of Stockholders.—19,800 (including Debenture Stock).
STATISTICS.—Year Ended December 31st, 1931
(Missing section)
Mileage.— Main and Principal Lines owned, 17 miles 64 chains ; leased to Metropolitan and Great Central Joint Committee, 45 miles 22 chains; minor and branch lines, 17 miles 18 chains; total, first track, 80 miles 24 chains; second track, 76 miles 26 chains; third track, 9 miles 22 chains; fourth track, 8 miles 3 chains: over four tracks (reduced to single track), 2 miles 13 chains; sidings, 55 miles 11 chains; total single track (including sidings) 231 miles 19 chains. Further items: Hammersmith and City Line, 1 mile 39 chains ; Metropolitan and L. & N. E. R., 1 mile 17chains; lines leased and worked, 76 chains; share of lines leased or worked jointly, 58 chains. Authorised but not open for traffic, 7 miles 35 chains ; lines over which running powers are exercised continuously, 6 miles 11 chains ; total run over by Company’s engines, 98 miles 19 chains.
Rolling Stock (Rail).—Locomotives (steam): tank. 8 (4-4-4), 5 (4-4-0) 6 (2-6-4), 4 (0-6-4), 4 (0-6-2), 2 (0-6-0), 7 (0-4-4), total, 36. Passenger train vehicles (non-electric), 104 ; goods train vehicles, 544 ; service vehicles, 101 (including 1 departmental locomotive). Locomotives (electric), 20 ; electric motor stock, 211; electric train vehicles, 392.
Road Transport Equipment.—42 goods and parcels horse vans, 33 motor vehicles.
Houses and Dwellings Owned.—303 houses or cottages for houses or cottages.
Traffic—
(missing section)
See Also
Sources of Information