1932 Miscellaneous




Note: This is a sub-section of 1932 Railway Year Book
Note: Parts are missing from original in the text below. Check the images or PDF for a full transcript
REMAINING IRISH RAILWAYS OWNING ROLLING STOCK.
A.—5 ft. 3 in. gauge.
Dublin and Blossington.—Incorporated, 23 July, 1887; opened, August, 1888. Length, 15i miles ; 3 locos, 3 rail rars, 10 coaching vehicles, 50 goods vehicles. Engineer, Secretary and Accountant, G. H. Gibson ; Locomotive Superintendent, F. C. Doyle ; both at Terenure, Dublin.
Dundalk, Newry and Greouore.—Owned by London Midland and Scottish Railway; incorporated 28 July, 1863. Length, 26^ miles; 5 locos, 18 coaching vehicles, 151 goods vehicles. Now attached to the Western Division, London Midland and Scottish Railway. Secretary, Owen Glynne Roberts, Euston Station, London, N.W. 1.
Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties.—Incorporated, 11 August, 1875; opened, November, 1882. Length, 49 miles; 11 locos, 12 coaching vehicles, 209 goods vehicles. Secretary and General Manager, S. C. Little, Enniskillen; Engineer, H. E. Wynne ; Locomotive Superintendent, G. F. Egan, Manor- hamilton ; Accountant, J. A. Devers, Enniskillen.
B.—3 ft. gauge.
Bessbrook and Newry Electric Railway.—Incorporated, 1884. Length, 3 miles; 3 motor cars, 6 coaching vehicles, 14 goods vehicles. Secretary and General Manager, M. Hamilton, Bessbrook.
Castlederg and Victoria Bridge.—Incorporated. 1883: opened, Jnly, 1884. Length, 71 miles ; 3 locos, 5 coaching vehicles, 29 goods vehicles. Secretary, W. J. Davidson, Castlederg; Engineer, T. Smith, Enniskillen; Locomotive Superintendent, G. H. Pollard, Castlederg.
Clogher Valley.—Incorporated, 1884 ; opened, 1887. Length, 37 miles ; 6 locos, 13 coaching vehicles, 114 goods vehicles. Secretary and Accountant, P. M. Soraghan, Aughnacloy ; General Manager and Engineer, D. N. McClure, Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone.
Gianfs Causeway, Portrush and Bush Valley.—Incorporated, 1880; opened, 1883. Length, 8 miles; 5 electric cars, 18 coaching vehicles. Secretary and Managing Director, M. Keenan; Chairman and Engineer, W. A. Traill, Portrush.
IRISH LEASED AND WORKED RAILWAYS
Arigna to Aughabehy.—4 miles. 'j
Athy and Wolf hill.—10 miles. >
Castlecomer Colliery.—10 miles. J
Letterkenny.—Length, 16 miles. Opened, 30 June, 1883. Worked by L. & L^ S. Ry.
Strdbane and Letterkenny.—Length, 19i miles. Opened, 1 January, 1909. Leased, 1904, to County Donegal Joint Committee.
Waterford Joint Lines.—Length, 22 chains. Opened, 15 February, 1904. Worked by G. S. Rys.
Fishguard and Rosslare.—104 miles. Worked by G. S. Rys.
JOINT RAILWAYS
A.—JOINT RAILWAYS NOW COMPRISED WHOLLY IN NEW GROUPS
{See 1923 edition of the RAILWAY YEAR BOOK.)
B.—JOINT RAILWAYS IN WHICH TWO OR MORE GROUPED COMPANIES ONLY ARE CONCERNED.
(1) SOUTHERN AND LONDON MIDLAND AND SCOTTISH RAILWAYS.
Somerset and Dorset.—Previously leased jointly to the London and South Western and the Midland Railway Companies under the Leasing Act, 1876 ; now owned jointly by the Southern and the London Midland and Scottish Railway Companies under the Southern Railway Act, 1923 ; the Somerset and Dorset Railway Company being dissolved. Length 1051 miles. Secretary, F. H. Willis, Waterloo Station. For further particulars see page 187.
(2) GREAT WESTERN AND LONDON MIDLAND AND SCOTTISH RAILWAYS.
(Secretary to Joint Committee : D. V. Levien, Paddington Station, London.}
Avonmouth Light.—Jointly acquired by L. M. S. and G. W. Railways, 1927. Length,about 1 mile.
Birkenhead.—Vested in G. W. and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys., 1 January, 1860 ; Length, 56i miles.
Brecon and Merthyr and London and North Western Joint.—Jointly owned by B. & M. (now G. W.) and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys., from 1879. Length, 6 miles.
Brynmawr and Western Valleys.—Opened by L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) and G. W. Rys. jointly, 28 May, 1906. Length, li miles.
Clee Hill.—Vested in G. W. and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys., from 1 January, 1893. Length, 6 miles.
Clifton Extension.—G. W. and Midland (now L. M. S.) Rys. Length, 9 miles.
Halesowen.—G. W. and Midland (now L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1906. Length, 6 miles.
Nantybwch and BJiymney.—L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) and Rhymney (now G. W.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1867. Length, 3 miles.
Severn and Wye Joint.—G. W. and Midland (now L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1894. Length, 41 miles.
Shrewsbury and Hereford.—Vested in G. W. and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys. from 1 August, 1870. Opened, 1852-3. Length, 75 miles.
Shrewsbury and Wellington.—Joint arrangement dates from 1846. Opened, 1 June, 1849. Length, lOi miles.
Shrewsbury and Welshpool.—Joint ownership dates from 1 January, 1865. Length 21 miles.
Tenbury.—G. W. and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1 December 1868. Length, 5 miles.
Vale of Towy.—Leased jointly by G. W. and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys. in 1868. Length, 11 miles.
West London.—Jointly acquired by G. W. and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys. in 1854. Length, 2i miles.
Wrexham and Minera.—Jointly opened by G. W. and L. & N. W. (now L. M. S.) Rys. in 1872; Length, 3 miles.
(3) GREAT WESTERN AND LONDON AND NORTH EASTERN RAILWAYS.
Great Western and Great Central Joint.—G. W. and G. C. (now L. N. E.) Kys. Joint arrangement dates from 1899. Length, 41 miles. Secretary, S. Gray, Paddington Station.
(4) LONDON MIDLAND AND SCOTTISH AND LONDON AND NORTH EASTERN RAILWAYS.
Axholme Joint.—Jointly owned by L. N E. and L. M. S. Rys. Opened throughout November 14th, 1904. Length, 27| miles. Secretary, G. R. Smith, Euston Station, London.
Cheshire Lines Committee.—Jointly leased by G. N., G. C. and Midland (now L. N. E. and L. M. S.) Rys. 1 July 1866 Length, 143 miles 49 chains. Operated by joint committee. Rolling stock belongs to the C. L. 0., but locomotive power is hired from the L. N. E. Ry., the owning companies also operating their own traffic. For further particulars see page 181. Secretary, T. R. Smith, Central Station, Liverpool.
Dumbarton and Balloch (including Loch Lomond Steamers}.—Cal. and N. B. _
L. N. E.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1 October, 1896. Length, 7| miles. T. H. Moffat, 302, Buchanan Street, Glasgow.
Dundee and Arbroath (including Carmyllie Light Railway}.—Cal. and N. B. L. N. E.) Rys. J ’ ' _ G GG . G_„_ _
T. S. Mackintosh, 23, Waterloo Place, Edinburgh.
Great Central and Midland Joint Committee.—G. C. and Midland (now L. N. E. and L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 24 June, 1869. Length, 39i miles. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station, London.
Great Central, Hull and Barnsley and Midland.—Opened by G. C., H. & B. and Midland (now L. N. E. and L. M. S.) Rys., jointly 1 October, 1909. Length, 4 miles 77 chains. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station.
Great Central and North Staffordshire Railway Committee.—G. C. and N. S. (now L. N. E. and L.M.S.) Rys. Opened, 25 May, 1871. Length, 11 miles. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station.
Great Northern and London and North Western.—G. N. and L. & N. W. (now L. N. E. and L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1874. Length, 45 miles. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station, London.
Halifax and Ovenden.—G. N. and L. & N. W. (now L. N. E. and L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement datesfrom August, 1870. Length, 21 miles. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station, London.
Halifax High Level.—G. N. and L. & N. W. (now L. N. E. and L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from July, 1894. Length, 3 miles. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station, London.
Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham.—Worked by L. N. E. and L. M. S. Rys. Electric passenger train working introdneed May 11, 1931. Lengtli, 9 miles 13 chains. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station, Ijondon.
Methley Joint.—L. N. E. and L. M. S. Kys. Passenger traffic worked by L. N. E. Ry. trains, goods traffic by each party. Joint arrangement dates from June, 1864. Length, 6 miles. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylcbone Station, London, N.W. 1.
Midland and Great Northern Joint.— Midland and G. N. (now L. M. S. and L. N. E.) Rys. Operated under a joint committee, with local officers. Locomotives and rolling stock owned by the committee. Joint arrangement dates from 1893. Length, 1831 miles. For further particulars see page 183. Secretary, G. R. Smith, Euston Station, London.
Norfol/c and Suffolk Joint Committee.—Joint L. N. E. and M. & G. N. Joint. Joint arrangement dates from July, 1898. Length, 221 miles. Secretary, G. R. Smith, Euston Station, London.
Oldham, Ashton and Guide Bridge.—G. C. and L. & N. W. (now L. N. E. and L. M. S.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1862. Length, 61 miles. Secretary, J. McLaren, Marylebone Station, London.
Otley and Ilkleg.—Midland and N. E. (now L. M. S. and L. N. E.) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 11 July, 1861. Opened 1 August, 1865. Length, 6} miles. Secretary, G. R. Smith, Euston Station, London, N.W. 1.
Perth General Station Committee.—L. M. S. and L. N. E. Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1863. Secretary, T. H. Moffat, 302, Buchanan Street, Glasgow.
Piince's Dock {Glasgoiv).—Ca\.,N. B. and G. & S. W. (now L. M. S. and L. N. E.) Rys. Jointly opened, 1903. Length, 11 miles. Secretary, T. H. Moffat, 302, Buchanan Street, Glasgow.
South Yorkshire Joint.—L. N. E. and L. M. S. Rys. Opened throughout, 1 January, 1909. L ngth, 29 miles 69 chains. Secretary, G. R. Smith, Euston Station, London; Traffic Inspector, W. Briggs, Lancaster House, St. Sepulchre Gate, Honcaster.
Su)inton and Knottingley.—Midland and N. E. (now L. M. S. and L. N. E.) Rys. Jointly opened for i)asscnger traffic, 1 July, 1879. Length, 181 miles. Secretary, G. R. Smith, Euston Station, London.
Tottenham and Hampstead.—Midland and G. E. (now L. M. S. and L. N. E.) Rys. Length, 4J miles. Secretary, G. R. Smith, Euston Station, London.
C.—OTHER JOINT RAILWAYS
County Donegal Joint Committee.—Midland (now L. M. S.) and G. N. (I.) Rys. Joint committee has its own local staff and locomotives and rolling stock. Joint arrangement dates from May, 1906. Length, 91 miles. For further particulars see page 222.
East London Railway.—Length, 4 miles 11 chains., Sections opened, 6 December, 1869 ; 11 April, 1876, and 10 August, 1882. Leased 1 October, 1884, to G.E., L.B. & S.C., S.E., L.C. & D., Metropolitan and Metropolitan District (now L. N. E., Southern, Metropolitan and Metropolitan District) Rys. Worked by a joint committee of these four companies, but passenger traffic operated by Metropolitan Ry. and goods traffic by L. N. E. Ry. Under powers contained in the Southern Railway Act, 1925, the undertaking of the East London Ry. Co. has been transferred to the Southern Ry. Co., but the railway is still worked as stated above. Secretary of Joint Committee, H. S. Chapman, Baker Street Station, London, N.W. 1.
Fishguard and Rosslare Railzvays and Uarhours.—See “ Leased and Worked Railways.”
Rammersmith and City.—G. W. and Met. Rys. Joint committee, constituted and appointed under the provisions of the Great Western Railway (Various Powers) Act, 1867. Traffic operated electrically. Length, 3 miles. Secretary, J. H. Foster, Baker Street Station, London, N.W. 1.
Metropolitan and District City Lines Extensions.—Met. and Met. Dist. Rys. Joint arrangement under Act of 1879. Joint Secretaries, H. S. Chapman, Baker Street Station, London, N.W. 1, and J. C. Mitchell, 55, Broadway, London, S.W. 1.
Metropolitan and Great Central Joint.—Originally constructed and owned by Met. Ry. Leased to joint committee, April, 1906. Managed in alternate five-year periods by either party. L. N. E. R. took over management January, 1932. Length, 51 miles 52 chains. Secretary, J. McLaren, Mary- lebone Station, London, N.W. 1.
Watford Extension Line.—Jointly owned by Metropolitan and L. N. E. Rys.
West London Extension.—G. W., L. & N. W., L. B. & S. C., and L. & S. W. (now G. W., L. M. S. and Southern) Rys. Joint arrangement dates from 1863. Length, 5i miles. Secretary, 0. Glynne Roberts, Euston Station, London, N.W. 1.
Whitechapel and Bow.—Met. Dist. and Midland (now L. M. S.), Opened, 2 June, 1902. Worked by Met. Dist. R.y. since opening by arrangement, though either party has power to work the traffic. Length, 2 miles. Secretary J. C. Mitchell, 65, Broadway, London, S.W. 1.
LEASED AND WORKED RAILWAYS GREAT BRITAIN.
{Remaining after amalgamations under Railways Act^ 1921.)
Bangour,—Length, 1| miles. Opened, 19 June, 1905. A private line worked by N. B. (now L. N. E.) By. (Now closed.)
East London,—See under “ Joint Bailways,” Section ” C.”
Easton and Church Hope.—Length, 3 miles 67 chains. Opened, for goods traffic, October, 1900; for passenger traffic. 1 September. 1902. Worked under agreement dated 5 August, 1897, hv G. W. and L. & S. W. (now Southern) Bys. Secretary, L. B. Evans, 14, Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C. 4.
Exmouth i mile. Opened, 1866. Worked by L. & S. W. (now Southern) By.
Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours Company.—The Company owns harbours and works at Fishguard and Bosslare, 105 miles of railway (1 mile in England and 104 miles in Ireland), and 3 turbine steamers. The Great Western Bailway Company manages, works and maintains the portion of the undertaking on the English side, with the steamboat service between Fishguard and Bosslare, and the Great Southern Bailways Company (Ireland) manages, works and maintains the portion on the Irish side. Secretary, F. C. Hockridge, Paddington Station, London, W. 2.
The Forth Bridge.— Directors : Chairman, William Whitelaw ; Deputy Chairman, Sir John Field Beale, K.B.E. ; The Hon. Bupert E. Beckett; Oliver Bobert Hawke Bury ; Lt.-Col. The Hon. A. C. Murray, C.M.G., D.S.O. ; Alfred Harold Wiggin ; Sir Murrough John Wilson, K.B.E. Auditors : J. Herbert Wilson, Lewis Clapperton, Glasgow. Officers: Secretary and Registrar, J. McLaren, Marylebone ; Accountant, C. H. Newton, King’s Cross; Engineer, W. A. Fraser, Edinburgh. Solicitors: Bobson McLean & Paterson, Edinburgh. Offices : 23, Waterloo Place, Edinburgh. Tel. No. 27879. Length. 4i miles opened for goods traffic on March 4th, 1890, and for all traffic in the following June ; payment of Debenture Stock Interest and Dividend on Ordinary Stock guaranteed by the London and North Eastern Bailway Company and the London Midland and Scottish Bailway Company.
Kilsyth and Bonnybridge.—See under “Joint Bailways.”
King's Lynn Dock and Railway.—Length, 1 mile. Opened, July, 1869. Worked by G. B. (now L. N. E.) By.
Mumbles Railway and Pier.—Length, 2i miles. Opened, 1897. Leased, from 1 July, 1899, to Swansea Improvements and Tramways Co.
Oxford and Aylesbury Tramroad.—Leased to Met. & G. C. Joint Committee.
Shropshire {Nantmawr Branch).—Length, 4 miles. Leased, from 1 May, 1900, to Cambrian Bys. (now G. W. By.).
Southport and Cheshire Lines.—Length, 14 miles. Opened, 1 September, 1884. Leased, from 10 May, 1889, to Cheshire Lines Committee.
Swansea and Mumbles.—Length, 31 miles. Opened, 1805. Leased, from 1 July, 1899, to Swansea Improvements and Tramways Co.
Vale ofTowy.—Length, 11 miles. Opened, 1 April, 1858. Leased, 1868, to G. W. and L. & N. W^ (now L. M. S.) Bys.
Weym,outh and Portland.—Length, 54 miles. Opened, 16 October, 1865, Leased. 18 March, 1862, to G. W. and L. & S. W. (now Southern) Bys. Worked by the leasing companies. Secretary, Graham Blunt, 1, Leadenhall Street, London, E.C. 2.
HARWICH-ZEEBRUGGE TRAIN FERRY.
A COMPANY, known as Great Eastern Train Ferries, Ltd., was organized early in 1923 for the operation of a train ferry between Harwich and Zeebrugge to enable railway wagons loaded at any point in Great Britain to be run direct on to the deck of the train ferry at Harwich for conveyance to Zeebrugge, and thence worked through to Continental destinations, with corresponding arrangements in the opposite direction, thus avoiding handling of goods at the ports.
Agreements were made by the Company with the London and North Eastern Bailway Company on this side of the North Sea and through a Belgian subsidiary company, La Societe Belgo-Anglaise des Ferry Boats, with the Belgian State Bailways on the other. The Company acquired three train ferry boats, which were built for the Government by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. and the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, together with the connecting bridges and other plant from the Southampton and Bichborough installations. Management is in the hands of the London and North Eastern Bail way. Operation was commenced in April, 1924, with a daily service in each direction.
By virtue of the agreement entered into with the Belgian State Bailways, the Belgian Government placed at the disposal of La Societe Belgo-Anglaise des Ferry-Boats a large number of wagons formerly in use on the cross-Channel train ferries introduced for war purposes, these wagons having been purchased by Belgium at the end of the war. In addition, the German State Bailway Company have constructed 315 wagons for the service. A considerable number of specially built Italian refrigerator, insulated, and motor-car wagons have also been provided for the Italian traffic, and a number of private-owned tank wagons are running on the service. Lord Daryngton, P.C., of Pease & Partners, is Chairman of the Company, and Sir Charles C. Barrie, M.P., K.B.E., Director of the London and North Eastern Bailway Company, represents that Company on the Board.
Messrs. A. J. Barry & Partners, Dartmouth House, 2, Queen Anne’s Gate, Westminster, London, S.W. 1, are the Consulting Engineers, and Mr. J. T. Ker, Secretary of the Company. The Begistered Offices are 17, Eldon Street, London, E.C. 2.
See Also
Sources of Information