A. Firth (of Sheffield)
of Newhall Road, Sheffield, Iron founders
This site soon proved inadequate to the needs of the business, and a new foundry was established in Newhall Road, where some of the largest castings made in this country were later produced - see Brightside Foundry Co
The original foundry was later dismantled and its site included in the area occupied by the works of Vickers, Limited.
A few years later Mr. Firth found his original works too small for him, and so he acquired what were known as the Old Newhall Running Grounds. He turned the grandstand into a pattern store and an existing hotel into offices. For some time this larger space was sufficient to satisfy the growing needs of the business, but eventually it, too, became too small, and the Carbrook Works and the Wicker Ironworks were started. In these the making of large rail rolling mills was commenced and in time very considerably developed.
1899 Company registered as the Brightside Foundry and Engineering Co Ltd.
Sources of Information
- Obituary of Ambrose Firth