Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,382 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

A. G. Richardson and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

A. G. Richardson and Co of Gordon Pottery, Pinnox Street, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Telephone: 7293-94. Cables: "Ducal, Tunstall, Staffs"

Makers of Crown Ducal range.

1915 The firm was founded at the Gordon Pottery, Tunstall, where they continued until 1934, extending their premises after a very short period as business increased.

From the first, the home market received their products with approbation and soon the overseas markets came to appreciate them likewise.

1921 The first notable landmark in their progress was the introduction of aerographed, plain coloured tea wares, from which they went on to develop a high class trade in dinner and other table wares of the same type.

1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of "Crown Ducal" Pottery; High-grade Semi-porcelain; Dinner, Tea, Breakfast, and Coffee Sets, etc. Also complete range of Fancy Goods. Exclusive designs. (Stand No. G.34a) [1]

1931 Charlotte Rhead began to work for the factory, producing Art Deco Patterns such as Rhodian, Indian Tree, Golden Leaves, Persian Rose, Byzantine and Wisteria. Rhead also introduced the tube lining technique of decoration to the factory.

1934 Britannia Pottery, Cobridge, was acquired. It was considered a model factory at the time. Circular in plan, all departments being on one floor, except the moulding shop, a maximum of production with a minimum of effort was achieved. All types of decorative styles were in normal production, from plain prints (for the American market) to print and enamel patterns in great variety, as well as lithographs. In their range of 'fancies' tube-line decoration and multi-coloured glazes predominated.

1942 Charlotte Rhead left the factory.

1974 Production continued until 1974, when Wedgwood bought the company. The business then relocated to Yorkshire.

See Also

Loading...
  • Note: Further Reading - ‘A Study of A. G. Richardson & Co., Ltd.’s Crown Ducal Ware 1915 - 1940’

Sources of Information

  • [1] The Potteries Website
  • [2] Decoware