Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,267 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur William Brightmore (c1865-1927), B Sc, Student of Inst C E (1886), of Egham.
"Dr. Brightmore was only sixty-two at the time of his death. He was first engaged, under the late Dr. G. F. Deacon, as resident engineer on part of the Vyrnwy Waterworks, and later, under Mr. James Mansergh, F.R.K, on the Elan Valley works in a similar capacity. Subsequently, before going to the Ministry of Health, he was Professor of Structural Engineering at Coopers Hill. At one time too, he interested himself in the design of commercial motor vehicles."
"THE LATE DR. A. W. BRIGHTMORE.
A wide circle of engineers will hear with regret of the death of Dr. Arthur William Brightmore, engineering inspector in the Ministry of Health, at the early age of 62. After passing through the engineering course at Owen’s College, Manchester, where he took the degree of B.Sc. and was elected to a Berkeley Fellowship, Mr. Brightmore was articled, in 1884, to Dr. G. F. Deacon, M.Inst.C.E., and was engaged upon the design of many special works in connection with the aqueduct of the Vyrnwy water supply for Liverpool. He acted as assistant engineer on the Oswestry section during the years 1886-1888, and in this capacity was connected with the building of extensive filter beds, an embanked reservoir, tunnels, and other aqueduct works. In 1887 Dr. Brightmore graduated M.Sc. at the Victoria University, and in the following year was appointed resident engineer on part of the Vyrnwy scheme, being in charge of the erection of the Norton water tower, with a tank capacity of 650,000 gallons, the crossing of the aqueduct under the River Weaver and the Manchester Ship Canal, &c. Five years later he set out, under the late Mr. J. Mansergh, 20 miles of the aqueduct of the Elan water supply of the Birmingham Corporation. This work included two long tunnels, heavy cut and cover works, &c. In 1894 he was appointed resident engineer of the section.
For eight years, until 1907, he was professor of structural engineering at the Royal Indian Engineering College, Cooper’s Hill, after which he entered the service of the Local Government Board.
During his career, Dr. Brightmore was the recipient of several awards from the Institution of Civil Engineers in connection with papers which he read before that body. The first of these was the Manby Premium for a paper on “ Experiments on the Steam Engine Indicator,” read in May, 1886; the second, a Telford Premium, for a paper read in 1902 on “ Formulae Relating to Saturated Steam.” In 1907 he received the Watt gold medal for a paper on “ Loss of Pressure in Water Flowing through Straight and Curved Pipes ” ; and, in November, 1908, with Sir John W. Ottley, he presented a paper on “ Experimental Investigations of the Stresses in Masonry Dams subjected to Water Pressure,” for which George Stephenson gold medals were awarded. Dr. Brightmore was joint author with Dr. J. H. T. Tudsbery of The Principles of Waterworks Engineering, which reached its third edition in 1905. He was also the author in 1908 of Structural Engineering. He became a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1896."