of Wadswoth Road, Perivale, Middx. Telephone: Perivale 1035. Cables: "Abbotlab, Perivale, Greenford"
- 1888 Dr. Wallace C. Abbott, a 30-year-old practicing physician and drug store proprietor in the USA, began using the active - or alkaloid - part of a medicinal plant. He formed tiny pills, called "dosimetric granules", which provided a more accurate and effective dosing for his patients than other treatments available at the time. The demand for these accurate granules soon far exceeded the needs of his own practice and from these modest origins Abbott grew - as one of the world’s most broad-based health care companies and a leader in the discovery, development and manufacture of products that span the continuum of care. 
- 1900 The company was officially incorporated as the Abbott Alkaloidal Company.
- 1906 To reach more physicians, Dr. Abbott established the company’s sales force.
- 1910 Abbott established its first European agency in London and branches in New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto and India.
- 1915 Abbott shifted its research focus from alkaloids to synthetic (chemical) medicines, an area positioned for tremendous growth. The name of the company changed to Abbott Laboratories in order to reflect the commitment to new areas of research, beyond alkaloids.
- 1916 Abbott acquired its first synthetic medicine, an antiseptic agent called Chlorazene, which was used extensively on the battlefields of World War I, to clean wounds.
- 1937 Abbott was established at Perivale. 
- 1941 Discovered in Great Britain in 1928, penicillin had tremendous clinical value, but had yet to be produced on a large scale. In 1941, Britain was seeking help in starting large-scale production and Abbott accepted the challenge. Within three months Abbott began commercial production of penicillin.
- 1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Fine Pharmaceuticals. (Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A.1279) 
Sources of Information