Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,526 pages of information and 217,107 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Albert Edward Nichols

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Albert Edward Nichols (1865-1935), borough engineer of Folkestone


1935 Obituary [1]

ALBERT EDWARD NICHOLS was for thirty years borough engineer of Folkestone. He designed the Marine Gardens Pavilion, which has a seating capacity of 1,700, and carried out extensive improvement schemes to Dover Road, Canterbury Road, and Sandgate Hill. He was architect to the various housing schemes, the first one alone costing £228,000. In addition he reorganized the public baths, and laid out various sports grounds. The long approaches on either side of Leas Cliff Hall, which is built on the cliff face, were constructed to his plans.

As a mechanical engineer, Mr. Nichols was a successful instrument designer, and invented an electric time-recording apparatus which was at first used to assist the police in catching motorists exceeding 20 m.p.h., after the passing of the Motor Car Act of 1903. Later the device was used to time motorists in speed trials and hill climbs organized by the Kent Automobile Club. He also invented an electrical recording instrument in connexion with fire brigade tournaments.

Mr. Nichols was born in Leeds in 1865 and was educated at High Harrogate College (now Trinity College) and at the Yorkshire College,

Leeds. In 1880 he was apprenticed to Mr. A. W. Morant, but was transferred a year later to Mr. Thomas Hewson, the city engineer of Leeds, whom he assisted after the completion of his apprenticeship.

From 1892 to 1898 he was Mr. Hewson's chief assistant. His duties included the testing of various pumping engines, the installation of gas engines and high-speed steam engines for electric lighting, the design and installation of electric light in public buildings, including the Town Hall and Municipal Art Gallery, and the testing of tramway rails.

His Folkestone appointment dated from 1899 and he held the position until his retirement in 1930.

His death occurred on 18th March 1935.

He had been an Associate Member of the Institution since 1905, and was also a Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information