Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,120 pages of information and 210,773 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alfred Carpmael (1835-1893)
1893 Obituary 
ALFRED CARPMAEL, born on the 9th of February, 1835, was the second son of the late Mr. William Carpmael, one of the most prominent patent agents of his time and the compiler of "Law Reports of Patent Cases" published in 1843.
After being educated at the Clapham Grammar School under the late Rev. Dr. Pritchard, Savilian Professor of Astronomy at Oxford, he was admitted a solicitor in the year 1857.
Three years later he became a partner in the firm of Wilson, Bristows and Carpmael, solicitors, of which he remained a member to the time of his death. The details of legal cases would be out of place in a notice of this kind, but it may fittingly be said that during his long connection with this firm he gained great experience in actions involving questions relating to all branches of engineering.
Mr. Carpmael was an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents, a Member of the British Association, one of the Board of Visitors of the Royal Institution and a Member of Council of the Society of Arts. In the latter capacity he became a member of the Royal Commission for the British Section of the Columbian Exposition and was present at the dedicatory ceremonies at Chicago in October, 1892.
Shortly after his return he became seriously ill and a severe attack of dropsy, following other complaints, proved fatal on the 1st of February, 1893. In addition to a sound legal knowledge and judgment, Mr. Carpmael possessed considerable scientific and mechanical ability.
In conjunction with his brother, Edward, he published in 1885 "Patent Laws of the World," a handbook giving for the first time in a collected form the latest information as to the laws of foreign countries relating to patents for inventions.
Mr. Carpmael was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 1st of December, 1885.