Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,638 pages of information and 209,984 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alfred Hickman Ltd, steel makers, of Bilston
1897 In connection with a large increase in the capital, the name was changed to Alfred Hickman. 
c1900 The company employed around 1,500 people.
The site expanded around the turn of the 20th century, and in 1907 the first electric-powered mills were installed.
1911 An open-hearth furnace was built and additional furnaces were constructed during the First World War.
1920 Stewarts and Lloyds acquired the blast furnaces, steelworks, and ironstone mines of Alfred Hickman, Ltd., and of their subsidiary, Lloyds Ironstone Company, Ltd. Hickman's Bilston works retained the name 'Alfred Hickman Branch' for some years after this. They produced high-quality carbon and low alloy steels for the production of seamless tubes
1925 The business went into voluntary liquidation, and since then operated as a branch of Stewarts and Lloyds.