Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,018 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Andrew Armstrong Short

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Andrew Armstrong Short (1883-1949)


1950 Obituary [1]

"ANDREW ARMSTRONG SHORT was connected with the cement industry for the greater part of his career, and was a director and manager for the Chinnor Cement and Lime Company, Ltd., Oxon, at the time of his decease on 23rd December 1948.

He was born in 1883 and educated at Bradford Technical College and Sheffield University. After serving his apprenticeship in Leeds from 1899 to 1905 with Mr. Robert Middleton and Messrs. Graham and Morton he spent the next thirteen years in the drawing offices of various firms, including Messrs. Edgar Allen and Company, Ltd., of Sheffield, for whom he acted as assistant chief draughtsman, and also Messrs. George Fletcher and Company, Ltd., of Derby, where he was in charge of the drawing office and responsible for the design of colliery and cement plant.

After holding the position of resident engineer and deputy manager for the Bristol Channel Portland Cement and Lime Company, Ltd., Glamorganshire, for five years, he began, in 1924, his long association with the Chinnor Cement and Lime Company with the post of resident engineer. In this capacity he was responsible for the design and erection of the present works. Subsequently he was made works director and finally a managing director. Mr. Short travelled extensively abroad, especially in connection with the installation of modernized plant, the provision of which, under his direction, very considerably increased the output, thus enabling the firm to meet the urgent requirements of the Forces, and in particular, those of the Royal Air Force during the war of 1939-45. He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1916 and was transferred to Membership in 1922."


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information