Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,029 pages of information and 229,411 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1868 John Pender gave up the Chairmanship of the Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Co (Telcon) to enable him to set up his first submarine telegraph company, the Anglo-Mediterranean Telegraph Co, to link Italy, Malta and Egypt and also to be the first link in the cable to India.
The company took over the concessions awarded to the Levant Telegraph Company and the Mediterranean Extension Telegraph Co which had a cable running from Sardinia to Malta and one from Malta to Corfu.
1870 Both these cables were duplicated. These enabled telegrams from Malta and Alexandria to be passed into the Italian and European telegraph networks and then via cross-Channel cables to England. In addition a cable laid by Glass, Elliot and Co, and owned by the British Government, running between Malta, Tripoli, Benghazi and Alexandria, was also taken over.
Paying out for the Malta to Alexandria cable began in September 1868. A second cable was laid over this route in 1870. A number of cables were laid by Telcon in the Ionian and Aegean seas for themselves, the Greek and Turkish governments, and Anglo-Mediterranean.
1871 A cable was laid from Cyprus to Turkey. These were all operated by Anglo-Mediterranean and those owned by Telcon were eventually taken over by Anglo-Mediterranean.