Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,164 pages of information and 209,699 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Archibald John Boyd

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Sir Archibald John Boyd (c1889-1959), chairman of Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage and Wagon Co and Patent Shaft and Axletree Co


1959 Obituary [1]

SIR ARCHIBALD JOHN BOYD, whose death occurred at Beaulieu, Hants, on May 9, was chairman of Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage and Wagon Company, Ltd., and of The Patent Shaft and Axletree Company, Ltd.

Sir Archibald, who was seventy, was educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Oxford.

In 1912 he entered the steel works of Cammell Laird and Co., Ltd., Sheffield, as a pupil, passing through the various departments, and becoming in 1913 assistant London manager of the company. After a period of military service in the first world war, he was recalled from France to become assistant general manager of the new ordnance factory which had been built by Cammell Laird and Co., Ltd., at Nottingham.

In the 1920s Cammell Laird and Co., Ltd., started to manufacture railway rolling stock at the Nottingham factory, and subsequently acquired control of The Midland Railway-Carriage and Wagon Company, Ltd., and The Leeds Forge and Newlay Wheel Companies. Sir Archibald Boyd was appointed a director of these companies.

In 1929 Vickers, Ltd., and Cammell Laird and Co., Ltd., amalgamated their railway rolling stock interests in the Metropolitan-Cammell Carriage and Wagon Company, Ltd., at Saltley, Sir Archibald becoming managing director in 1934.

During the second world war much of the company's capacity was devoted to the production of fighting vehicles, and from October, 1942, to December, 1943, Sir Archibald was seconded to the Ministry of Supply as Director-General of Tank Production. He received his knighthood in 1950, relinquished his office as managing director in December, 1953, and was appointed chairman in January, 1956.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Engineer 1959/05/15