Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,937 pages of information and 233,602 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Archibald Smith of 69 Princes Street, Leicester Square, London (1868)
of Leicester Square and Janus Works Battersea, London.
By 1878 Messrs. Archibald Smith and Co., hydraulic and general engineers, were in Leicester Square, London.
1880 A new factory was built at Battersea to meet the expansion of the business, and the firm's name was altered to Archibald Smith and Stevens.
The firm began to concentrated on making lifts. Initially hand or belt or hydraulically operated.
Messrs. Stevens and Major patented a hydraulically-operated hoist
1888 Hydraulic Passenger Lift. 
1889 Smith and Stevens' Duplex Pump for hydraulic passenger lifts. 
1889 Charles George Major became a partner.
1909 Due to further expansion of the business, it was decided to convert it into a private limited company under the name of Smith, Major and Stevens, Ltd., with Charles George Major as chairman. The works were moved to Northampton.