Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,170 pages of information and 233,417 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of Armstrong Whitworth.
1929 After making heavy losses, two private companies were formed by Armstrong Whitworth: Sir W G Armstrong Whitworth and Company (Engineers) Ltd, and Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Company (Shipbuilders) Ltd; the former took over the general engineering businesses at Scotswood and Gateshead; the latter took over the the Devon, Walker and Tyne Iron shipyards. The holding company was renamed Armstrong Whitworth Securities Company Ltd.
1930 A third private company, Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Co. (Ironfounders) Ltd, was incorporated.
1937 Sir John Jarvis acquired the whole of the share capital of Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Co. (Ironfounders) Ltd, and that of Jarrow Metal Industries, in order to relieve unemployment on Tyneside.
1937 The activities of the company were General Engineers, Roll-Manufacturers and Iron and Steel Founders. The general engineering, iron foundries and machine shops were at Gateshead; the heavy roll and steel foundries were at Jarrow.
1953 Name of Sir W. G. Armstrong Whitworth and Co. (Ironfounders) Ltd. changed to Armstrong Whitworth (Metal Industries) to reflect more closely the nature of the business (of which ironfounding was by no means the main focus). On 4 December became a public company and acquired the remainder of the shares in Jarrow Metal Industries Ltd that it did not already own. Issue of shares. New areas of work included oilfield equipment, photogravure printing presses and infinitely variable gears.