Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur Frederick Bulgin, O.B.E. (1899-1974) of A. F. Bulgin and Co.
Arthur Frederick Bulgin, O.B.E. (Fellow 1943) died on 29th March, aged 74; he leaves a widow and one son and one daughter.
Born in Barry, South Wales, Mr. Bulgin served in the first World War as a Wireless Operator in the Royal Flying Corps. On demobilization he joined an electrical engineering company and during this period studied at Northampton Engineering College. In 1923 he formed his own Company A. F. Bulgin and Co., of which he continued to be Chairman and Managing Director, and which celebrated its Golden Jubilee last year. As a leading manufacturer of electronic components Mr. Bulgin was active in the industry's trade associations and in 1932 he was one of the six founders of the Radio Component Manufacturers Federation (now RECMF). After that date he held numerous offices in the Federation and he was President from 1961-1966. In his capacity of Chairman of the RECMF Exhibition Committee he led the organization of the Components Exhibitions held initially at Grosvenor House and in recent years at Olympia. From 1934-1943 Mr. Bulgin was a member of the Radio Manufacturers Association Council, predecessor of the present British Radio Equipment Manufacturers Association.
During the Second World War Mr. Bulgin took a leading part in the development of the Air Training Corps in Essex and he eventually became Commanding Officer of the West Essex Wing with the rank of Wing Commander in the RAFVR. In recognition of his services was appointed M.B.E. in 1947 and on his retirement from the RAFVR in 1956 after 15 years' service he was granted the honorary rank of Wing Commander. For his contribution to the development of the Electronic Components industry, particularly through overseas exhibitions, Mr. Bulgin was promoted to O.B.E. in 1967.
In 1962 he was appointed to the Institution's Membership Committee and shortly afterwards became a member of the Finance Committee, on both of which he continued for some years. His professional interests were evidenced by the establishment in 1952 by the A. F. Bulgin Premium which is now awarded annually for the outstanding paper published in the Journal on the theory and practice of electronic components and circuits.