Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,993 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Burry Port, Carmarthen, Wales
1890 'OPENING OF NEW TIN WORKS AT BURRY PORT - Operations commenced at the Ashburnham Tinplate Works, Burry Port, on Tuesday afternoon. The works are erected near the docks, which is a great advantage. The engine was supplied by the Bowling Iron Company (Limited), Bradford. The diameter of the fly-wheel, which was supplied at by Messrs. R. Nevill and Co., Llanelly, is 24ft., and it weighs 40 tons. The works have four mills - two supplied by Messrs. Nevill and Co. and two by the late Mr. John Powell, Lanelly - and two boilers, 30ft. long and 8½ in diameter, supplied by Messrs. Tinker Bros., Hyde, Manchester. The pickling machine was supplied by the Millwork Iron Company, Landore, and the tinning plant by Messrs. H. Marker and Son, Gowerton. The works are lit up by electricitv throughout by Mr. J. C. Howell, from Llanelly, several arc and incandescent lights being used. It is estimated that they will turn out weekly 2,400 boxes. In all nearly 300 men will be employed. Mr. David Griffiths is the manager.' 
1931 The last four works above resigned from the Corporation.
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Welsh Tinplate Works. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. D.328).
1953 Production ended