Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,766 pages of information and 210,006 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of London, with works at Newcastle upon Tyne, Chester and Liverpool, manufacturers of white lead, lead oxide, etc. and paint merchants.
1919 Company incorporated in an abortive attempt to consolidate the British lead industry.
1921 Rumour of an initiative of the Burma Corporation to bring together 6 leading British companies with interests in lead, to link the manufacturing side of the lead business with the producing side and to free the British industry from German dominance. This would be achieved by amalgamation under the Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd., which would involve 5 private companies and one public company Walkers, Parker and Co.
1923 The company acquired the lead, antimony and other manufacturing interests of Cookson and Co (which were put into a separate company Cookson Lead and Antimony Co) and Locke, Lancaster and W. W. and R. Johnson and Sons Ltd.
1924 The white lead, red lead and litharge works of Rowe Brothers and Co Ltd of Exeter with works at Bootle were acquired. Existing shareholders would receive shares in Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd. The 3 companies were all private companies; they would continue as separate entities with their existing management.
1925 Public issue of shares.
1928 Acquired Locke, Blackett and Co. Ltd
1929 Acquired Walkers, Parker and Co. Ltd
1930 Amalgamation of Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd with Goodlass, Wall and Co Ltd, which company was involved in paint and related businesses both in the UK and abroad to form Goodlass, Wall and Lead Industries Ltd; Clive Cookson was chairman.
1948 Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd comprised:
1949 The name: Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd was brought back into use for internal administrative reasons as the name of the subsidiary where almost all of the business in manufacturing metals and compounds would be carried out. This merger of the companies concerned was done in such a way as preserve the brands and goodwill associated with those companies, 4 of which had originated in the 18th century.
By 1951 only the name Associated Lead Manufacturers Ltd was used in adverts, without mention of the subsidiary companies.
1961 Manufacturers of lead sheets and pipes, oxides, solder, lead and tin alloys. 2,100 employees.