Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,372 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1913 The company of Bamford and Martin was founded as motor dealers, who went into production of cars. They acquired premises at Henniker Place in Kensington
1914 Following one of Lionel Martin's successful runs at the Aston Hill Climb in Buckinghamshire, the first Aston Martin car was designed and registered with the name.
1915 March: the first car was produced
After the war the company was re-founded at Abingdon Road, Kensington and a new car designed to carry the Aston-Martin name.
1920 Bamford left.
1921 An Aston Martin car was ready for production but it was expensive and the company was struggling to stay afloat.
1922 The company was revitalised with funding from Count Louis Zborowski
1922 Bamford and Martin produced cars to compete in the French Grand Prix, and the cars set world speed and endurance records at Brooklands.
1924 The company went bankrupt and was bought by Lady Charnwood, who put her son John Benson on the board.
1925 The company failed again
1926 The factory closed. Lionel Martin left the company.
1926 Later that year a number of rich investors, including Lady Charnwood, took control of the company and renamed it Aston Martin Motors, and moved it to the former Citroën plant in Feltham. Benson brought in Augusto Bertelli as designer together with W. S. Renwick; their company, Renwick and Bertelli, was located in Birmingham.
The 1929 Aston Martin International was a successful racer and was followed by the Le Mans and the Ulster.
1932 Financial problems reappeared and the company was rescued by L. Prideaux Brune who funded it for the following year before passing the company on to Sir Arthur Sutherland.
1936 the company decided to concentrate on road cars. Car production had always been on a small scale and until the advent of World War II halted work only about 700 had been made.
1937 Bertelli left Aston Martin; he was replaced as design chief by Gordon Sutherland, famed for the 2.0-litre cars with dry-sump lubrication.
WWII Made aircraft components
1947, David Brown and Sons bought the company under the leadership of managing director Sir David Brown - its "post-war saviour".
1950 Announced the DB2
1955 David Brown and Sons bought Tickford, known for its coach building, and its site at Tickford Street in Newport Pagnell, and that was the beginning of the classic series of cars bearing the initials "DB".
1957 Announced the racing DB3
1958 Announced the Italian-styled 3.7 L DB4. All the cars established a good racing pedigree for the firm, but the DB4 was the key to establishing the company's reputation
1963 Announced the DB5
1965 Announced the "grand touring" style with the DB6 (1965–70), the DBS, and the DBS V8 (1967–72).
List of Models