Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,164 pages of information and 209,699 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Aubrey Everard Hughes (1890-1951)
Aubrey Everard Hughes, M.C., B.Sc.(Eng.), who died on the 19th June, 1951, was born on the 18th September, 1890. He was educated at Haileybury College and later at King's College, London, where he obtained his B.Sc. degree in 1911. He then went to Germany for practical experience and held an appointment as Assistant Engineer in the Contracts Department of the A.E.G. at the outbreak of the First World War. He caught one of the last trains out of Berlin in August, 1914, and on returning to England joined up immediately. He served with distinction as a Major in the Royal Engineers in France and elsewhere in Europe until his demobilization in 1919. From 1919 to 1924 he was employed by Ransomes, Sims and Jefferies as their London Electrical Engineer. In 1924 he joined the staff of Rendel, Palmer and Tritton, acting as consulting electrical engineer supplementing their activities in civil engineering. The major part of his work consisted in the elaboration and supervision of the electrical equipment of the large hydro-electric power plant, constructed in 1927-1931, on the Perak River at Chenderoh, Federated Malay States. In 1933 he practised on his own account as a consulting civil and electrical engineer, and during the following six years he established himself as a professional engineer of the highest standing. In 1937 he returned for a few months to Rendel, Palmer and Tritton, to assist them in elaborating a report on the electrical development in New South Wales. During the Second World War he was a director of the Fuller Electrical and Manufacturing Co., London, contributing much to their activities in the field of power generation and distribution. Whilst in this position he took a very active part in the organization and training of his company's section of the Home Guard, which formed an important unit of the 55th Essex Bn. After the war he was for some time engaged on a special investigation overseas for Balfour, Beatty and Co.
Although of a quiet and reserved disposition, he was much liked for his helpful and generous attitude towards a large circle of friends, employees and acquaintances, and he was highly regarded by clients and colleagues for his sound professional knowledge.
He joined The Institution as an Associate Member in 1918 and was elected a Member in 1925.