Bank Quay Glass Works
1849 'BANK QUAY GLASS WORKS, WARRINGTON.
By Mr. HILL, ..... The extensive and commodious WORKS, situate at Bank Quay, within Warrington aforesaid, known by the name of THE BANK QUAY GLASS WORKS, consisting of three Cones, Workshops of every description, Pot Rooms, Warehouses. Offices, Show Rooms, Steam Engine, Machinery, (including the Apparatus required for Cutting Flint Glass.) Stables, Manager's House, Thirty Cottages for Workmen, and every convenience for carrying on the Glass Manufscture on extensive scale; together with small Plot of LAND adjoining the same, and suitable for extending the Works.
The whole Premises, exclusive of the Wharf mentioned below, comprise an area of between eleven and twelve thousand square yards, of which a small portion is of Freehold Tenure, and the remainder is Leasehold for terms of 999 years and years, at nearly nominal Ground Rents, amounting together to £15 10s per annum.
In point of situation these Works command every advantage which could be desired. They are situate on the banks of the River Mersey, which up this point is a free Tidal River, navigable for vessels of upwards 120 tons burthen, and exempt from the Tolls levied by the Mersey and Irwell Navigation Company on vessels proceeding a few yards higher up the River. There is a substantial Wharf on the banks of the River, built a great expease, which belongs to and will be sold with the Manufactory, whereby goods and materials can conveniently shipped or landed.
The Works also adjoin to the London and North-Western Railway, (with which there is communication by means of a private Railway running into the Works.) and are within three-quarters of a mile from the Sankey Canal.
By these means (exclusive of the St. Helens Railway, the Proprietors of which have obtained an Act for an extension which will pass within a few yards of the Works) there are distinct and competing communications with the St. Helens Coal Field, and the Alkali Works at St. Helens, Runcorn, and Newton, all within the distance of a few miles, and ample facilities for procuring Coal and other articles consumption from other places, and for forwarding manufactured goods. The Duke of Bridgewater’s Canal also passes within two miles from Warrington.
The necessity for providing Pots, for many months before they are required for use. renders obvious the great advantage which Purchaser of these Works would derive from a Quantity of well-seasoned POTS, sufficient for several years’ consumption, being already on the Premises, and which, together with the Stock of Crates, Crate Wood, Pot Clay, wet and ready for use, Materials, Implements, and Fixtures, will be Sold at Valuation or otherwise. The Purchaser will also be entitled to the GOOD-WILL, and introduction to the extensive Business Connexions, in England and Abroad, of the Finn by whom the Business of Bottle Making has been carried on at the Works.
There are few places at which the Glass Manufacture in any of its branches, or any other Manufacture requiring extensive space, a cheap supply of coal, and facilities for the carriage of goods by land and water, could be carried on to greater advantage.
The present Owners will show the Premises; and further particulars, with Plans of the Property, may be obtained from Messrs Wagastaff, Marsh and Barratt, Solicitors, Warrington.'[1]
LOCATION
This 1846/1849 O.S. map shows the Glass Works on the north aise of the River Mersey where loops round to change direction from NNE to SSW. It was bounded on the south by the railway and river, and on the north by Liverpool Road.
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ Gore's Liverpool General Advertiser - Thursday 19 April 1849