Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,143 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bartlett Wrangham Winder (1858-1920) of Jonas and Colver
1921 Obituary 
BARTLETT WRANGHAM WINDER, J.P., was born in Sheffield on 5th October 1858.
He was educated at Sheffield Grammar School and the Collegiate College, and in 1874 entered the works of Messrs. Jonas and Colver, steel manufacturers, Sheffield, with which firm he was connected all his life, and was largely associated with its progress. At the outset he took up the chemical side of the industry, and soon became works chemist. Subsequently he was appointed works manager and a director of the company, and became chairman on the retirement of Sir Joseph Jonas in 1918.
At the Brussels Exhibition in 1911 he was chosen as one of the three English judges of the steel section; he was also a director of Messrs. Smith and Coventry, of Manchester, and a member of the Court of Governors of the University of Sheffield. In recognition of his work the University conferred upon him the degree of Master of Metallurgy.
In 1912 he was appointed a Justice of the Peace.
His death took place in Sheffield on 19th July 1920, in his sixty-second year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1911.
1920 Obituary 
B. W. WINDER died on July 19, 1920.
After finishing his education in Sheffield he took up the chemical side of the industry, following it with great assiduity at a time when education in this branch was on a very elementary scale. He was regarded as one of the pioneers in the application of chemistry to steel manufacture.
In 1874 he joined the firm of Jonas & Colver, with which he remained connected for the rest of his life. He became works manager, a director of the company, and in 1918 was appointed chairman. A few years ago, in recognition of his work for the Sheffield University, the honorary degree of Master of Metallurgy was conferred upon him, and when the Faculty of Metallurgy was founded he was made a member of it.
He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1903.