Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Bendix Aviation Corporation of 30 Rockefeller Plaza, New York.
1929 Bendix Corporation branched out into aeronautics and renamed the company Bendix Aviation to reflect the new product lines. Bendix supplied aircraft manufacturers with all types of hydraulic systems and introduced new devices such as a pressure carburettor. It also made a wide variety of electrical and electronic instruments for aircraft.
By 1940 Bendix had sales of around $40 million
1948 General Motors sold its interest in Bendix as it wanted to focus on its expanding automotive operations.
1948 Manufactured domestic radios and phonographs; started to sell car radios directly to Ford and other auto manufacturers.
From 1950 to 1959, Bendix made television sets.
1956 the computer division introduced the Bendix G-15, a mini-computer which was the size of two tall filing cabinets. The company sold about 400 of these.
1960 Bendix sold its shares in Elliott Automation
1963 The Bendix computer division was taken over by Control Data Corporation, which continued to manufacture the G-15 for a few years.
1971 Bendix introduced the world's first true computerized ABS (anti-lock) braking system
1983 Allied Corporation acquired Bendix