Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,442 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1947 Bowater's various paper and pulp interests were re-organized; a streamlined structure was instituted, in which a number of wholly-owned operating companies reported to a holding company which was given a new name, the Bowater Paper Corporation.
Sir Eric Bowater worked tirelessly to build up the business on both sides of the Atlantic.
In the United Kingdom, the strategy of diversification away from newsprint continued through the late 1940s and early 1950s with further acquisitions of paper products firms.
In North America, the relentless rise in U.S. demand for newsprint led to the construction of a paper mill at Calhoun, Tennessee, marking the firm's debut as a producer in the United States.
1954 Self-sufficiency was taken a step further by the formation of the firm's own shipping fleet.
By the mid-1950s Bowater was the largest producer of newsprint in the world.
1955 Expansion into building products and packaging activities and entry into the rapidly growing tissue market through the acquisition of the St. Andrews tissue mill.
1956 In the United Kingdom, the end of government paper control inspired a resurgence of optimism regarding demand for newsprint, and further capacity was added at Kemsley and on Merseyside. The Bowater-Scott Corporation, a company jointly owned with the market leader in tissue technology, the Scott Paper Company of Philadelphia, was formed.