Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,918 pages of information and 228,821 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
British Hydrocarbon Chemicals Ltd, manufacturer of chemicals
1950 Distillers Co established a joint venture with Anglo Iranian Oil was called British Petroleum Chemicals Ltd which was constructing a new project at Grangemouth that would produce synthetic ethanol which would alleviate Distiller's supply problems with molasses. Grangemouth would also be the location for a new plant to make styrene monomer by a new company, Forth Chemicals Ltd, which was owned two-thirds by Anglo Iranian Oil and one third by Monsanto Chemicals Ltd - this was part of a plan to make derivatives from the petrochemicals made by the main plant at Grangemouth.
1956 British Petroleum Chemicals Ltd was renamed British Hydrocarbon Chemicals to avoid confusion with the name of the partner in the venture, BP. It had 2 subsidiaries - Forth Chemicals and Grange Chemicals, the latter being one third owned by the Oronite Co of California. Expansion at Grangemouth was progressing well; new butadiene plant was nearly complete.
1956 Low density polyethylene plant to be built at Grangemouth.
1962 New methanol plant commissioned.