Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,258 pages of information and 223,668 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The British Radial Engine Company of Lacland Place, London, SW10
British Radial produced motorcycles from 1921 to 1922.
1921 The company acquired the rights of production for the 396cc 2.75hp three-cylinder radial engine, deigned by J. E. Manes and built by C. B. Redrup. Soon they were able to assemble complete and marketable machines. These had in-line mounted, 309cc engines with valves placed either side of cylinders that were spaced 120 degrees apart, and a two-speed Sturmey-Archer gearbox with chain-cum-belt transmission. Frame and forks came from Chater-Lea, carburettor from Senspray and magneto from Runbaken. In all but the engine configuration, the machine was conventional. The engine was also available for stationary applications.
1922 Specifications included a Vici carburettor. That year was to see the end of British Radial.