Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Whitworth, Facit and Shawforth, Rochdale
Broadley Wood Mill was built in 1818 and owned for 40 years by Charles Haigh. By 1874 it had changed hands and by 1927 was in the business was in liquidation. The Mill was demolished in c.1960
1873 Fire in the Mill, the property of Charles Haigh.
1898 'The directors and managing officials of the Broadley Wood Spinning Company, Whitworth, may reasonably be congratulated on having secured a considerable alteration of the driving power of their mill with very little loss of time. Hitherto the motive power of the mill bee been produced by means of two antiquated beam engines, one making 30 and the other 32 revolutions per minute, but these have now been superseded by one of McNaught's horizontal engines of 500 horse power, having all the latest improvements and making 68 revolutions per minute.'