Brooke and Co
of 5 walcot Street, 44 Walcot Street and 20 Grove Street, Bath
c. 1846 founded by Charles Brooke. Initially based in Brooke’s chemist shop at 44 Walcot Street.
1859 Advertisement for 'soda water, lemonade, gingerade, and aerated ginger beer, by steam power', 5 Walcot Street, Bath.
1861 Brook and Co was being run as a partnership between Charles Brooke and his son-in-law Charles Thornthwaite.
1870 Thornthwaite died, leaving his half of the business to his wife Sarah.
1889 Company inherited by Charles Brooke’s son Thomas. By this date, Brooke and Co. was based at 20 Grove Street, Bath.
1898 Death of Thomas Brooke. Brooke and Co. inherited by his cousin William Pearce Tapp, who worked as an insurance salesman. By 1901 Tapp had sold the business to the mineral water manufacturer Frederick Matthew Millard.
1930s Brook and Co. was being run by as a partnership between Millard and John Andrews Caney.
1932 Millard and Caney’s partnership was dissolved on the 3rd of September, but the company, still based at 20 Grove Street, continued operating until at least the 1940s.
1940s The factory suffered minor damage during an air raid.