Brownlee and Co

Timber merchants, of City Saw Mills, Port Dundas, Glasgow
1849 The business was established by James Brownlee.
1896 The company was registered on 23 March, to take over the business of timber merchants, and saw millers of a company of the same name. [1] The company's prospectus stated that it had been formed to acquire the business at the City Saw Mills and at Grangemouth and Kilmarnock. It stated that the business was founded by the late James Brownlee in 1849 and that it was now being transferred to a company in order to provide for certain payments in connection with a trust estate, and for the adjustment of copartnery interests. The company had a share capital of £200,000.[2]
1914 Directors: John Forrest, J.P., Robert Brownlee, John Forrest (jun.), James R. Forrest, Matthew H. Forrest, James Morton
c.1968 Company closed
See Also
Sources of Information
- National Records of Scotland BT2/3148
- Scottish Archive Network