Burnstones Viaduct






near Alston, Cumbria
1846 Parliament authorised a railway to run south from Haltwhistle. It crossed the impressive Lambley Viaduct and then Burnstones Viaduct. Burnstones, opened in 1852, has six arches, the northernmost having an appreciable skew of to carry the railway over what is now the A689. The other five arches, with spans of 20 feet, are skewed in the opposite direction to suit the flow of the river. Between these spans and the road span there appears to be a heavy pier when viewed from the east (Photo 3), but viewing from the west shows a blind arch, tapered to accommodate the opposing skews.
The Engineer was George Barclay Bruce.
The viaduct closed to trains in 1976 and now carries the South Tyne Way.
See Also
Sources of Information
- [1] Forgotten Relics: Burnstones Viaduct