Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,369 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Calderbank Iron Works of Monklands, and later Calderbank Steel Works
1835 The Calderbank ironworks was founded.
By 1887 it had developed in size to 6 blast furnaces and 60 puddling furnaces, with a reversing mill producing malleable iron boiler and ships' plates, but was one of those that failed to meet the new market for steel, and it closed in 1887 (the year that Clydebridge Iron Works started operation) and was demolished.
1890 a steelworks with 5 Siemens Open Hearth furnaces was built on the site. This was not successful, but the business was taken over in 1897 by James Dunlop and Co, owners of Clyde Iron Works, and work picked up.
1900 Harry Jacobs of Warwick-chambers, Corporation-street, Birmingham was appointed sole agent in Birmingham district and Midland counties. Company is known as being manufacturers of Siemens-Martin steel plates for boilers, ships, bridges and other purposes.
1910 A steam turbine driven, 3-high plate mill was installed.
1920s With the depression in the 1920s the works were closed for periods.