Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,934 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
in Cambus, near Alloa
Founded in 1806 by John Moubray
1836 Changed from lowland malt whisky production in pot stills to grain whisky production.
1851 Robert Moubray installed continuous stills.
1877 Combined with five other firms to form the Distillers Company.
By 1886 the site covered 8 acres, and was served by rail. Water and steam power were used, taking advantage of the adjacent River Devon.
At an early stage in the life of the distillery an elegant iron bridge, Cambus Iron Bridge, was built to allow carts to cross the River Devon.
1914 A major fire led to the long term closure of the distillery. It remained closed for 24 years, but the site was used as bonded warehousing and maltings for Carsebridge Distillery.
1937 With a rise in demand for Scotch whisky following the ending of US prohibition, it was decided to demolish most of the old buildings and build a new distillery, which formally opened on 6 January 1938.
The site is now owned by Diageo, and includes the Blackgrange Bond Cambus Cooperage and Filling Store.
2011 A state-of-the-art cooperage was opened, producing 360,000 casks per year.
The above information is largely condensed from display boards on the Clackmannanshire Heritage Trail, close to the deteriorating Cambus Iron Bridge.