Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of the British Iron Foundry, 598 Callowgate Street, Glasgow
c.1815 Business established
1855 Sale of the Foundry. 'IRON FOUNDRY IN GLASGOW, TO BE SOLD OR LET. MR. JAMES BENNIE, of the Caledonian Foundry, No. 90 West Street, Tradeston, and Mr. WILLIAM ROBERTSON, of the City of Glasgow Bank, Trongate Branch, Trustees appointed by Mr. JOHN CAMPBELL, Iron-founder in Glasgow, are empowered to SELL or LET, with Immediate Entry, the well-known and long-established Work, known by the name of THE BRITISH IRON FOUNDRY, situated No. 598 Gallowgate Street, Glasgow, which has been a successfully carried on for the last 40 years under the Firm of Campbell & Christie, of which firm Mr. Campbell is now sole partner. The Works are at present in active operation, and will continue to be so till Sold or Let. The Foundry is the largest in the district, having an extensive General and Jobbing Business connected with it, and, from the quantity of vacant ground attached, is capable of being greatly enlarged, if required. To an enterprising party with a moderate capital such an opportunity seldom occurs. The Whole Stock, Machinery, Tools, and Utensils, all of which are in excellent working order, will be Sold to the Purchaser or Tenant at a valuation, and terms of settlement will be made reasonable.'
The premises were taken over by Alston and Gourlay