of 37 Grosvenor Avenue, East Sheen, London, SW14. Telephone: Putney 3878. Cables: "Gofklub, Esheen, London"
- 1871 John Henry Taylor, golfer, was born at Northam, north Devon. Resolute to the point of obstinacy, on the golf course he was a true fighter. Together with James Braid and Harry Vardon, he formed the great ‘triumvirate’ of golf at the turn of the century. In 1957, Westward Ho!, later Royal North Devon, paid him the great honour of electing him president of the club where he had started as a caddie. He died on 10 February 1963, at the village of his birth.
- 1890s J. H. Taylor was living in Winchester and, although a great golfer, and an excellent teacher, was not club maker. Consequently all repairs were carried out at the Sports Shop adjacent to the College. This represented a loss of both time and money to Taylor, so he persuaded an assistant professional from his old club at Westward Ho!, and who was a first class club maker, to join him at Winchester.
- Between them, they opened a shop, and the firm of Cann and Taylor, came into being. The two names together caused some confusion in the ecclesiastical City of Winchester. A letter was received at the cathedral, addressed to Canon Taylor, ordering some golf clubs. In it, the writer expressed his surprise that the Reverend gentlemen found time to make golf clubs, and at the same time carry out his ecclesiastical duties!
- When Taylor left the Club, in 1896, Cann was appointed Club Professional and remained there until 1899, when he left for Pittsburgh, USA. There, he opened a Sports Shop, specialising in golf equipment. However, the firm of Cann and Taylor still remained in business in Winchester.
- 1929 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of the J. H. Taylor "Cynosure", "Autograph", "Ceetee", "Garweel" Golf Clubs, Harry Vardon and Ted Ray "Autograph" Clubs, and Jeeve's Patent Wooden Clubs; Golf Club Heads of every description, Turned Blocks, and Shafts. (Stand NO. B.7) 
Sources of Information
-  Oxford DNB
-  Royal Winchester Golf Club