Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,390 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Connected Chard with the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal at Creech St. Michael, near Taunton, Somerset.
A relatively late, and short-lived narrow canal. Opened in 1842, closed in 1868.
The route was only 13½ miles long, but the Chard end was 231 ft above the Creech St. Michael end, with several hills in between, dealt with by inclined planes and tunnels. The work was started by James Green in 1837, but he was replaced by Sydney Hall.
A good account of the Canal's history may be found on line
Despite being so little-known, many parts of the canal infrastructure survive, including the large reservoir, tunnels and the remains of bridges and aqueducts.
The embankments and cuttings were used as part of the defensive Taunton Stop Line in WW2.
There were four inclined planes on the system. Three were conventional, having two parallel sections of track to carry a pair of counterbalanced caissons in which the tub boats floated. The fourth, near the canal's terminus just north of Chard, was unique, having a single track for a wheeled cradle, the hauling power coming from a water turbine supplied by Whitelaw and Stirrat.
The turbine and its initial performance were described in the Mechanics Magazine in 1843, from which the following information is extracted:-
Inclined plane 810 ft long, gradient 1 in 10. Weight of boat and cargo 18 tons. Speed: 16.9 feet vertical height gain per minute, once moving at steady speed. Turbine worked with 25 ft head, passing 725 cu ft per min. 60 - 63 rpm. 9.55 ft diameter wheel. Water supply pipe 26" dia.
Delays with the installation and commissioning meant that the final section of the canal was not fully opened until summer 1842.
'A new wire-rope, of substantial dimensions, has been substituted for that which had frequently broken at the Chard plane, and Mr. Hall, the engineer, has left.'.
Evidence of the inclined plane can be seen just north of the reservoir, close to the Sustrans cycleway. A nearby display board (see photo) shows the approximate location of the water turbine, but no tangible remains are visible. Note the method shown for keeping the wheeled cradle level.