Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Charles Frederick Farrington

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Charles Frederick Farrington (1878-1939)

1939 Obituary [1]

"CHARLES FREDERICK FARRINGTON spent the whole of his career in municipal engineering, the greater part in connection with water supply. At the date of his death on 12th April 1939 he was engineer to the Conway and Colwyn Bay Joint Water Supply Board, as well as consulting water engineer to various other local authorities in North Wales.

He was born in 1878 and received his education at the Grammar School, Lynn. He became a pupil under Mr. E. Paley Stephenson, who was engineer to the Llandudno Council, following which he was appointed in 1898 an engineering assistant to the same council.

Two years later, in 1900, he joined his father, Mr. T. B. Farrington, as engineering assistant on various water schemes, sewerage works, and bridge construction. In 1905 he joined the Conway and Colwyn Bay Joint Water Supply Board as deputy engineer. His position as engineer dated from 1915 and during his tenure he was responsible for improving the Board's supply of water from Colwyd Lake, involving an estimated cost of some £100,000. He erected a booster plant on the Board's existing 15inch trunk main at Glan Conway, constructed a steel girder bridge of 140 feet span over the River Conway, and in addition was responsible for new water supply schemes of various other local district councils. Mr. Farrington was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1907, and transferred to Membership in 1922."

See Also


Sources of Information