Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,412 pages of information and 217,030 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Hall (1842-1900)
1901 Obituary 
CHARLES HALL, born on the 15th November, 1842, was educated at Southampton Diocesan College.
In January, 1875, he was transferred to the London staff at the Company’s offices in Leadenhall Street, under Mr. Manuel, the present Superintendent Engineer, and in 1886 he became Head of the Repairs Department, which post he held until his death on the 30th December, 1900.
Amongst important work with which Mr. Hall was intimately concerned may be mentioned the use of the electric search light for the passage of ships at night through the Suez Canal and the electric lighting of the Peninsular and Oriental Company’s and the Union Company’s fleets. He served as a member of the jury at the Crystal Palace Electrical Exhibition of 1884.
A keen golfer, he was instrumental in forming, and was for some time secretary to, the Redhill and Reigate Golf Club. In amateur orchestral circles he was well known as a capable double-bass player.
Mr. Hall was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 24th May, 1870, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.