Charles John Brandling
Charles John Brandling (1797-1856) of Gosforth was Member of Parliament for Newcastle 1798-1812 and for Northumberland 1820-1826.
He married Henrietta Armitage, heiress of Middleton, near Rothwell, West Yorkshire.
1812 At Middleton he employed John Blenkinsop who in 1812 converted the wagonway from the colliery to Leeds into a rack and pinion steam railway (Middleton Railway).
1815 He was chairman in 1815 of the committee set up to establish the remuneration to be paid to George Stephenson for the invention of the Geordie lamp.
He over indulged in coal speculations which led to financial difficulties and the sale of many of the Brandling estates; Shotton in 1850 and Gosforth and Felling in 1852.
1851 Living at Handsworth Village, Mddx. (age 53 and born at Rothwell), Lieut-Colonel of 2 West Militia, Magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant. Living with his wife Henrietta (age 50 and born at baits head?) and daughter and four servants. . 
Thereafter the family seat was Middleton Lodge, Middleton.
Sources of Information
- 1851 Census
-  Wikipedia