Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,260 pages of information and 218,941 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Tayleur was born in 1785 (or 1774). His father, William of Rodington, had purchased Buntingsdale Hall near Market Drayton. The Tayleur family were wealthy and William owned about ten thousand acres of land including Upton Castle, Pembrokeshire.
Charles spent his early days at Buntingsdale and was the youngest of three brothers, after he received his patrimony of £10,000 he left home to seek his fortune where he worked as a merchant.
1801 A merchant, of Liverpool when he married Jane Hill, the daughter of a Liverpool merchant; they set up home in Liverpool.
1804 Birth of daughter Mary
He bought, at a bargain price, a much overdue ship which was laden with hides and tallow from the Argentine. The ship did eventually arrive, and Charles’s investment paid a handsome dividend.
From this time on, the details of Charles’ various business ventures are none too clear although it is known that he was a merchant involved in importing and exporting, and was at various times a ship owner, a director of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, and involved in the canal trade.
1814 home address of Charles Tayleur was 19 Rodney Street, Liverpool
At one time the business of Charles Tayleur and Co was shown as having a counting house in Wolstenholm Square, Liverpool.
1818 Charles moved house to 61 Duke Street, Liverpool
1818 Dissolution of the partnership in Liverpool between Charles Tayleur and John Jackson under the firm of Charles Tayleur and Company
1823 he moved to Parkfield Hall, Toxteth Park, which was among the best residences in Liverpool at the time.
1824 Charles was listed as a ship owner
1827 the Company title was changed to Tayleur and Son; the following year the business moved to 69 Seal Street, in Liverpool.
Charles handed control to his son, also Charles, but his health began to fail soon afterwards and another member of the family, Henry T. Tayleur, took over the business
1834 Two of Charles’ sons were recorded in the Liverpool Directory - John Tayleur is shown as a merchant of Parkfield Cottage, Toxteth; William Tayleur was listed as a merchant of Bedford Square.
1841 John Tayleur 65 and Charles Tayleur 65, both of independent means, lived in Buntingsdale Hall, Market Drayton
With the fortune that Charles made he bought estates in Leicestershire - at Charnwood, Hucclescote, Charnley and Donnington-le-Heath, all to the west of Leicester. He also bought estates in Devon - at Sandwell, Morleigh, Woodley, Place Captain, Hendham, Higher and Lower Preston, Harberton, Hazzard, Belsford, Babbercombe and St Mary Church in the Torquay and Totnes areas. He later lived at Hampton House, Babbacombe.
1854 Death of Charles Tayleur, registered in Newton Abbot