Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,981 pages of information and 229,144 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1916 When the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research was established, chemical research problems that did not fall within the scope of any existing research station were mainly undertaken under the auspices of the Chemistry Co-ordinating Research Board.
The Board initiated investigations such as the synthesis of formaldehyde at Oxford University, work on synthetic resins at Birmingham University and on the corrosion of metals at Imperial College.
1925 the department created a laboratory for chemical research, the Chemical Research Laboratory at Teddington. It did not cover the whole range of chemical research, being intended to fill a gap in the available laboratory resources of the department and to undertake from time to time such chemical investigations as the department thought desirable in the public interest. It was organised in a varying number of research groups, described by the titles of their most important projects, not by the branches of chemistry with which their work was principally concerned.
1927 The Chemistry Research Board replaced the co-ordinating board and supervised the work of the Laboratory. The board also supervised any other research referred to it on the recommendation of the Advisory Council.
1958 the research board was replaced by a National Chemical Laboratory Steering Committee with similar terms of reference.
1964 The steering committee was dissolved.