Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,412 pages of information and 217,030 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Christopher Lobb (1854-1910)
1910 Obituary 
CHRISTOPHER LOBB was born at St. Erth, Hayle, Cornwall, on 10th May 1854.
He was educated at his native village and at Hayle Public School.
At the age of sixteen he was apprenticed to Messrs. Harvey and Co., Hayle Foundry, and passed through all the various shops. On its completion he worked for a short time as journeyman in the erection of both marine and pumping engines.
On leaving Messrs. Harvey's employ he was engaged for a short time in superintending and erecting boilers and engines for the Wheal Proper Mine, near Marazion, Cornwall, and is 1877 acted in the same capacity for Messrs. Willoughby and Co., marine and general engineers, of Plymouth.
In 1879 he went to London to enter the employ of Messrs. Dryden and Foord, general engineers and printing-machine makers.
Three years later he transferred his services to Messrs. Owens and Co., hydraulic and general engineers, where he had sole charge of the outdoor erection of their engines, boilers, and hydraulic machinery in various parts of London and the provinces.
For a few months in 1890 he was engaged in designing and constructing various kinds of electrical machinery for Messrs. Imisch and Co., of Kentish Town, and in September of that year he was appointed chief engineer to Messrs. W. Clowes and Sons, of Duke Street, Stamford Street, S.E., the well-known printing firm.
This position he held for fifteen years, and then became chief engineer for Messrs. Kelly, of Holborn, superintending the laying down of their printing plant at Kingston-on-Thames.
In January 1908 he was appointed chief engineer for Messrs. Richard Clay and Sons, of Bread Street Hill, London, and this post he held to the time of his death, which took place suddenly from heart failure on 10th October 1910, at the age of fifty-six.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1900.