Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,791 pages of information and 211,900 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

City of London Brewery Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1868. Refrigerators constructed by James Shears, Sons and Dale.

of 89 Upper Thames Street, London


1860 the City of London Brewery Company was formed to acquire Calvert's, of the Hour Glass Brewery.

1867 Calvert's (now the City of London) used the hourglass as its emblem[1]

1891 Reconstructed as the New City of London Brewery Co. Ltd

1895 reverted to the original title.

1922 brewing was transferred to the Swan Brewery, Fulham; the Hour Glass Brewery was used as a warehouse.

1932 the name was changed to The City of London Brewery and Investment Trust Limited, parts of the business having been sold and the proceeds invested in securities according to investment trust principles.

1941 the brewery was destroyed in an air raid.

1968 the remaining part of the brewery business was sold, although the company continued trading with investment securities.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Victorian London [1]
  • Site History - Calvert's Brewery [2]