Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,020 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Clement were motorcycles produced from 1922 to 1924, by Mr A. Clement of Regent's Park in London.
1922 By the middle of that year, the Clement was brought to the British market. It was a miniature with open frame and four-stroke ohv engine fitted in front of the frame downtube and the pedalling bracket. Because the weight was carried low, the Clement was workmanlike and stable. The tiny engine was 63cc maximum, and was in-unit with a reduction drive gear of eight to one. It had an outside flywheel and carried its magneto upturned under the rear of the unit. It had chain transmission and a special butterfly-choke carburettor.
1923 A sports model was listed and a miniature was entered for its class in the Grand Prix de l'Auto, at the Parc de Princes, Paris.
1924 During that year there was a dispute over the British manufacture of the design, when there was an announcement that it would be built by Jennen Engineering of High Holborn, London, under the name of Wren. Clement contested the claim and managed to retain his interest, so the Clement continued under that name. Retailing went to James Grose, a large retail outfit on Euston Road, London, and the firm began to trade as The Clement Motor Company. Different options were introduced and there was talk of increased engine capacity, but the marque quietly disappeared.