Clement Talbot Ltd, car makers, of Edinburgh Road, Ladbroke Grove, London W
of Barlby Road, North Kensington, London, W. (1922)
1896 Business established.
1902 Incorporated as a Limited Co. under the patronage of Charles Chetwynd-Talbot who gave his name to the company.
1902 Formed as a private company called Clement Talbot Ltd. The company was registered on 11 October, to carry on the manufacture of motor-cars etc. .
1904 Clement-Talbot, Co., Ltd., Ladbroke Grove, Notting Hill, London, W. were manufacturers of the Talbot car.
1904 November. Details of the Talbot 35-hp car.
1905 October. Details of the back axle.
After formation of Clement-Bayard company it entered into an agreement with an English financial group headed by the Earl of Shrewsbury and Talbot for the Clement Bayard to be assembled in Britain by a new company called Clement Talbot Ltd. and to be sold as Clement-Talbots.
1906 The company produced 8-10, 10-12, 12-16, 20-24, 24-30, 35-45 and 50-60 h.p. models. The three higher powered ones were chain drive while the smaller were shaft driven. Various models were made in Britain by Clement Talbot, and others in France by M. A. Clement. They were marketed under the Clement-Talbot brand name. 
1906 May. Details of their petrol cars with 20-24 hp engine.
By 1907 the British company was designing its own cars, among them the high-performance 4-litre 25 which rivalled the Vauxhalls and Sunbeams for fastest time of the day in the numerous sprints and hill-climbs.
From this came the Talbot cars - see that entry. By 1908 Talbot cars were exhibited at the Motor Show. Talbot cars were sold by Clement Talbot Ltd.
1908 May. Details of their 35-hp car.
1909 October. Details of the 35-hp four-cylinder car.
1909 November. Details of the cars. 12-hp, 15-hp, 25-hp and 35-hp.
1920 A. Darracq (1905) Ltd and Sunbeam Motor Car Co were amalgamated, with Sunbeam shareholders receiving an equal number of Darracq shares. The name of the parent company was changed from A. Darracq (1905) Ltd to S. T. D. Motors to reflect the names of the 3 companies making up the new company - Sunbeam, Talbot and Darracq. Production would continue at the 3 sites - Wolverhampton (Sunbeam), London (Talbot) and Suresnes (Darracq). In addition a central organisation for buying, selling, advertising and administration would be established. The absorption of W. and G. Du Cros would expand body-building capacity adjacent to the Talbot works, something which was necessary due to the inadequate capacity of the Darracq company.
1937 Clement Talbot Ltd was still in business as an automobile retailer (see adverts)
- 1903 AP 107
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- The Autocar 1904/07/02
- The Autocar 1904/07/09
- The Autocar 1904/12/03
- The Autocar 1905/03/18
- The Autocar 1905/03/25
- The Autocar 1905/04/08
- The Autocar 1905/10/21
- The Automobile Vol. III. Edited by Paul N. Hasluck and published by Cassell and Co in 1906.
- Automotor Journal 1906/06/02
- The Motor - Volume 165 - Page 59
- Automotor Journal 1908/06/13
- The Autocar 1909/10/16
- The Autocar 1909/11/13
- The Times, 10 March 1924
- The Times, 9 June 1920
- The Times, 14 August 1920