Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,398 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
on the Severn Estuary at Clevedon, Somerset.
1866 The Clevedon Pier Co was formed with John William Grover and Richard Ward as the engineers and Hans Price as the architect.
1867 Resident engineer was James Wallace Peggs
The iron pillars was were erected by Hamilton's Windsor Ironworks Co. of Garston, Liverpool. The legs were constructed from Barlow Rail. This type of rail was designed by W. H. Barlow, and was briefly used by Isambard Kingdom Brunel on the South Wales Railway. The concept was flawed, and the use for its intended purpose was soon abandoned.
1869 First opened.
1893 The pier head was replaced in cast iron with a new timber landing stage, and the pier head pavilion was completed in 1894. G. N. Abernethy, engineer and Double the contractor. Detailed description.. The cast iron pavilion was produced by McDowall Steven and Co.