Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,162 pages of information and 233,682 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Cleveland Railway ran from the outskirts of Middlesbrough through the Eston Hills and via the town of Guisborough to reach the former Whitby, Redcar and Middlesbrough Union Railway near the village of Brotton on the East Coast
The Cleveland Railway's original act was for a line east of Guisborough, but it also developed the line to the north west line across private land to a junction on the Eston branch of the Middlesbrough - Saltburn line, then part of the Stockton and Darlington Railway company.
The Eston branch served numerous Iron ore mines located within the Eston Hills, and the Cleveland Railway decided to tap into this market building their track round Eston moor to reach Guisborough.
It opened in 1861, but by this stage was operating in competition with the Middlesbrough and Guisborough Railway (M&G) who had built their line running south from Middlesbrough approaching Guisborough from the East.
In 1863 both the Cleveland Railway and the M&G were absorbed into the North Eastern Railway and the Cleveland line east of Guisborough became redundant, closing in 1865.
The North Eastern Railway then connected the line east of Guisborough to the M&G line before Guisborough, meaning trains had to reverse out of the terminal before continuing along the line to Loftus. It remained this way until its closure in 1964