Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,077 pages of information and 222,858 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
at Aberystwyth, also known as Aberystwyth Cliff Railway
The railway is part of Constitution Hill, a Victorian development on the hill of the same name built by the Aberystwyth Improvement Company. It consisted of arcades and a restaurant at the foot of the hill, the railway, and at the top of the hill a camera obscura and park. Constitution Hill was designed and engineered by George Croydon Marks, who later became a Liberal peer, who at the same time designed the new pavilion for the Royal Pier.
1896 Opened. Originally operated on a water balance system. The standard gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) railway climbs 430 feet (130 m) in 778 feet (237 m) — a gradient steeper than 1:2 (50%).
1921 The railway was electrified. Its twin carriages both take 30 passengers and are named the Lord Geraint and the Lord Marks.