Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 172 Leith Walk, Edinburgh
1829 Formed by James Craig and Hugh Rose as oil merchants, first at New Street, then at Greenside Place
1874 opened such a large paint mill in Leith
1880s Won the tender to paint the Forth Bridge
1886 Glasgow branch is completely destroyed by fire
1890 Became a Public Company with capital of £200,000 and the then partners became Directors
1891 Mentions '...Hugh Rose, Hugh Rose, junior, Andrew Arthur Rose, and James Bruce Adam, trading as Craig and Rose, of 75, Southwark-street, S.E.,...'
1900 The company was registered on 27 October, to acquire the business of paint, colour and varnish manufacturers of the firm of the same name. 
During both world wars they were a prime supplier to the Royal Navy, producing immeasurable gallons of the most durable battleship grey, innovating by using wood and fish oils as linseed oil was difficult to come by.
During World War II, the firm excelled in the production of camouflage paint, again innovating, faced with a dearth of raw materials.