Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,981 pages of information and 229,144 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Crieff and Comrie Railway was authorised by Act of Parliament of 25 July 1890. The line was to be six miles (9 km) long, with no intermediate stations. The majority of the line followed the valley of the River Earn and terminated east of Comrie; the Caledonian Railway, as owners of the former Crieff Junction Railway, were to reconstruct Crieff station on a through line but there were difficulties raising the finance.
1893 The line opened.
Financial difficulties continued amongst which the contractor, Mackay, had an outstanding claim.
At this time the Caledonian Railway wished to extend to Lochearnhead to join the former Callander and Oban Railway line. The Caledonian was willing to purchase the line, repay the share capital in full, pay off the mortgage loan, and settle MacKay's claim. The shareholders agreed and the company was vested in the Caledonian Railway by Act of 1 August 1898.
1901 the Comrie, St Fillans and Lochearnhead Railway opened.