Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,847 pages of information and 228,791 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1846 the Croydon Commercial Gas and Coke Company was formed.
A rival company - The Croydon Gas & Coke Company - was also in existence at this time
1846 December: the latter company agreed to dispose of their rights to the Croydon Commercial Gas & Coke Company on condition they could retain the lands already purchased to build a gasworks.
1847 Mr Patton was appointed the first manager
By 1866 the Company had acquired further land at Waddon and completed the new works in 1867.
1894 The company absorbed the Carshalton Gas Co
1905 The company acquired the Caterham and District Gas Co.
1904 An Act of Parliament authorised the undertaking to change its name to the Croydon Gas Company.