Cwm Celyn Iron Works
1839 Opened with four furnaces, on the east side of the Ebbwy Fach river.
1839 Merged with nearby Blaina Iron Works to form a new concern, The Cwm Celyn and Blaina Iron Company, which then operated both works together.
1844 the company was bought by a new partnership; Frederick Levick was brought in as manager.
It soon changed hands again and the new partnership (presumably Levick and Simpson) displayed works products at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
By 1855 the company was also operating three furnaces at Coalbrook Vale.
1858 Frederick Levick became the sole owner of the three works when each site had two furnaces capable of operation.
1867 the three ironworks were unsuccessfully put up for sale
1867 Company closed[1].
By 1881 the site had becoma a foundry
By the end of the century, the site was a brickworks
The entire area has since been re-developed as an industrial estate.
See Also
Sources of Information
- ↑ The Times, 2 September 1867
- [1] Cwm Celyn